Sunday, January 25, 2009

Start 'Em Early


Sports. I've learned it is a dominant gene in the Wooderson family - especially amongst the males. When I married a Wooderson, I soon found out that it is a 24-7 addiction. I love my husband, and I support his hobbies as long as he will still pay attention to what I'm saying when a game is on. Now, Clint is more than eager to impart this tradition to his son. We used some of Avery's birthday money from grandparents to buy a basketball hoop. Technically, the toy isn't approved for children under the age of 18 months. This didn't stop Avery's father. "Got to start 'em early" he says. I hope that Avery will enjoy exercise, that a healthy lifestyle will be a natural habit, that he will learn discipline, character, teamwork, perserverance and how to lose gracefully and learn from one's mistakes. Clint envisions much of the same ideals, except I think he will put more emphasis on competition.
Ahh...so it begins...another male probably destined to be obsessed with sports. If this is a bond between father and son, then I will be happy.