I love my husband very much, and Avery sometimes gives me little glimpses of what Clint might have been like as a boy.
When we were first dating, there was a period of time where Clint accompanied me on my morning workouts. Sometimes, much to his roommates chagrin (who also hated to wake up early), I would give Clint a phone call before coming over before our run. It wasn't until after we were married that I understood how much Clint detested waking up early. Normally, requires at least 30 minutes to adjust before he is able to comfortably carry a conversation. He jokes that those early morning workouts was just part of his ploy to "win me over" and I was easily fooled. On the other hand, I am a morning person and enjoy going to bed early and waking up early.
Our son tends to take after his father in this area. Averybear is pretty cranky if he is awakened not at his choosing. Since we are potty training him at this time, we have tried to take him to the potty right after we wake in up in the morning or at naptime since his diaper is usually dry. We know he probably has to go.
However, we've also learned that Avery needs a little time to adjust, sitting in his room, drinking a cup of milk by himself before he interacts with us. Otherwise, it is a heated battle. So, we hand him his milk and leave. This usually works as Avery will eventually wander out into the living room looking for us to take him to the potty.
So, as his mother, I will need to remember to give him space and grace in the mornings like I do for his father. I'm glad that the time I've taken to get to know and understand Clint in our early years of marriage is giving me insight on how to parent our little boy.