Saturday, March 10, 2012

Harmless Mischief and Mayhem


drew a mustache and beard on a Minnie the Mouse coloring book page

tried to microwave an orange

puts teeth marks on Candyland playing cards

currently learning how to win and lose gracefully (he hates to lose)

going through a phase where he loves superheroes - his favorite TV show is the 80’s version of “Spiderman and His Amazing Friends”

Many parents bathe their kids as part of a bedtime routine to help calm them down for sleep.  Not Avery.  Bath time winds him up.  He loves to sprint around the house in his robe leaving wet footprints and ask if his freshly combed hair “looks cute?”.

While spotting a turkey hunter arcade game in Pizza Hut, Avery loudly announces, “WE SHOOT ANIMALS SO WE CAN EAT THE MEAT!”

If Avery goes anywhere in the house, he prefers to run.  Lately, he has been making a rocket noise sound effect before he launches into his run.  After Aileen was born, we’ve had to make a new rule about no running in the house for fear of him running over the baby.

I love how Avery sometimes cheerfully greets me with a freshly picked dandelion when I pick him up from BUM Kids.

The memory of our preschooler sometimes surprises me.  He has told me about things that happened when he had not yet learned to speak.  At times, his memory is better than mine.

There is a Mickey video in which Minnie Mouse kisses Mickey and leaves heart shapes on his face.  Avery kissed me and asked, “Did I leave heart shapes on you?”

I love how sometimes his playfulness catches me off guard and makes me stop everything else I’m thinking about and smile.

While following me around the house, Avery exclaimed, “Mommy! Don’t escape!” (as if he notices that I’m actually trying to…)

“That looks silly like an old codfish!” – not sure where Avery heard this one…

“Avery, don’t put tape on Aileen.”

“Avery, don’t cut grandma’s hair with the scissors.”